Wednesday, January 15, 2014

A Day of Play

I laced up my running shoes and took my first good morning run in what seems like 2 weeks this morning. Although we are all still hacking I felt I was was well enough - and anxious enough - to get back to my morning routine.

After about a mile I caught a hacking fit and stopped to cough up a lung. I'm pretty sure the little Hispanic lady sitting out on her porch having her morning java was debating on calling the paramedics. Bo wasn't concerned in the least. It enabled him to take an extra long sniff and pee at the light post. I took it a little easier on the loop back home.

Skye has had a case of cabin fever. She has been sick longer than any of us. She already had cedar allergies before she contracted the bug and I think she has been feeling a bit trapped lately.

The day was forecasted to be a sunny 70 degree day. A perfect day to spend outdoors after 2 weeks indoors.  I planned for us to spend the day at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. This is one of the very first attractions we ever visited after moving to Austin. Oddly enough we have been there a few times but never during the peak of wildflower season when everything is in bloom....most likely because entrance fee is free in the month of January. I'm an el-cheapo and always look for the deals. I made a mental note today to visit again in the spring when the flowers are in bloom even if it means I have to fork out an entrance fee.

Our first stop was the new In and Out Burger. In and Out is one of those places that gets a lot of hype and although it was good, I personally didn't think the burgers tasted extraordinary...but then again, I'm not really a big meat lover. The place was packed but we lucked up on a booth right away after we placed our order.

The first thing we did when we got to the Wildflower Center was take a hike down the arboretum trail. I'm assuming this trail must have been a new addition or either I had never noticed it before.

Halfway down the trail there was a section with many different kinds of swings. It felt awesome to be a kid again....





Skye pushing me high!



What I loved most about the day is we all got two things we had been needing: Time outdoors and some fun!






No comments:

Post a Comment