Friday, May 20, 2016

Reflect and Ponder

I feel the need to reflect and ponder on my life via my blog. My little family is at a weird place in our lives. A transitional phase, if you will.

THE SHOP (GRIDLOCK TATTOO)

Not long ago, Toby and I mutually decided to keep the shop running for a while longer. We've gotten a little spoiled by being our own boss and living by our own rules. Running the shop keeps us both pretty busy on two different levels of the playing field. A few facets of my life (mostly my free time) now get neglected because of it, but right now that's just the way it is.

Toby's good reputation as a tattoo artist, our loyal customer base, referrals, and his (and mine) excellent business management skills have been what has kept us afloat for the past 3 years. If he has proved nothing else, he can at least say he (we) can do it! 

I have to give Toby full props though. With all his hard work, he has made that shop a success. Sadly, we have received very little support from our local community. 95% of the customers that walk through our door are referrals, loyal clientele who followed him from Atomic, or customers who do their research and find our shop from our excellent YELP reviews or our FB page that showcases his awesome tattoo work. Most of our customer base are from Elgin and North Austin.

At times, it has been a stressful journey, yet it has been easier in so many ways than it's been hard. I'm not sure how much longer we will keep our doors open. It depends on the opportunities that may or may not arise in the future.

As usual, my life has no foresight and very little security. Even so, my family has a roof over our head and food in our mouths, which is all the really matters in any given moment.

MY SECOND BORN (SKYE)

Skye just recently passed her Texas driving permit test. Texas makes you jump through hoops in regards to obtaining a drivers permit/ license. She had to endure hours of lecture on road rules, etc. before she could even take her test. She scored well....it didn't surprise me. She works really hard for things she wants. She has excellent work ethic and enthusiasm for things that interest her, which I believe will be an asset for her in her future endeavors.

So, the past couple of weeks I've had a chauffeur. I won't lie and say I've been enjoying it. Not because her driving makes me nervous ( it doesn't), but because my car is my mental getaway. The place I turn up my music and enjoy some mental down time. Plus, I like to break the rules by driving over the speed limit and not coming to complete stops.

LAURA AND TOBY (PERSONAL)

Toby and I enjoy spending our free time hiking or hanging out downtown exploring the city.

These are the days that Toby and I have began to mentally scold ourselves for not making those responsible decisions when we were young that would ensure and secure our future...you know, those things like retirement and nest eggs. As it is now, we will be one of those old folks you see greeting you at the front door of Walmart. Hell, we may end up being one of Austin's homeless population. At least, Austin is the place to be if you're homeless.

Unless, we win the lottery - which I have no unrealistic expectations about, our senior years look grim. As usual though, I will hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment