Monday, February 27, 2017

A Walk in the Woods

This afternoon Skye suggested we take a walk in the greenbelt behind us. It's been awhile since we've explored around out there.

When Skye was younger, she played back there frequently. Something like what we have behind our home would have been a gold mine for me and my brother when we were kids, too.

The bluebonnets haven't yet made their appearance back there yet, although it looked like it won't be long.

We came across a blooming tree among all the other barren and colorless landscape. As many times as I've gone back there, I've never noticed the lone white flowered tree before. Matter of fact, I've never seen a tree like this at all in our area and it was kind of odd to think  how it may have gotten out there among all the Mesquites, cactuses and Cedar trees.  I had the instinctive impression it may have been planted there to mark a grave of some sort when the area was farmland or maybe even before that time. It was beautiful and smelled so fragrant. It sat along the edge of a stream and I contemplated bringing me a chair out there next time and make me a little sitting/thinking spot....



There were some black butterflies with blue tips enjoying their nectar....



Here are some remnants of the old farm where our house sits now...



We came across this skull too. It has a horn-like piece on it. Not sure what kind of animal it came from..


An old nest in a barren tree....


We plan on going back out there again tomorrow. Animals have made many trails back there making navigation a lot easier than it used to be.

Here are a couple of more nature pics I've got from our walks at the park the past month.

I wish this pic had not been blurry, I love these cactuses with the red berries....


Cedar pollen in all it's glory.....


 Ball moss....


My favorite shack....


Lamb's Ear, it is so soft to the touch.....


 This caught my eye, because it looked like some kind of creature staring at me. See the eye??



This is a portion of Walnut Creek we've never walked before. It was nice and peaceful because it was a less traveled area of the creek..




I'm trying to take full advantage of the pleasant weather we've been having this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment