Saturday, November 25, 2017

Our Thanksgiving Week

For the past ten years, ever since we moved to Texas, our Thanksgivings have been anything but Traditional and usually very eclectic. What we do differs from year to year.

This year Lucas arrived in the days before Thanksgiving. Emily had to work, so was not able to come with him, so it was just him.

Lucas has such a pleasant personality and such positive energy that he's always a joy to be around.
We had a lot of fun and kept busy the whole week.

Lucas and Skye took the bikes to Walnut Creek one day....


Then we spent a couple of nights building a fire. Lucas was in his element, with the fire. He jumped the fence into the greenbelt to rustle up some firewood. He spotted these grasshoppers on the other side of the fence....


He was throwing the firewood over the fence to me and Skye and we dragged them to the pit. Bo was having a blast grabbing them and chewing on them too. Made me wonder why I've wasted so much money on chew toys all these years.

We all enjoyed some beers by the fire while we chatted away about memories, life experiences, and just about anything that came to mind. I don't have many redeeming qualities, but I love the way I raised my kids to be open and honest with me. I didn't have that availability when I was growing up and I believe it really makes a difference in the dynamic of a parent/child relationship.


On Monday Toby took off work so he and Lucas could go ride the 'technical' trail at Brushy Creek. After they were done, they called me and Skye to meet them at Baby A's....


On Tuesday they all went to the movies to see Justice League. Mom stayed home and enjoyed some peace and quite while they were all gone. I even treated myself to a Coke Zero and those addictive Hershey's chocolate covered cherry kisses.

Here's a pic Lucas took of Skye sporting her new purse Lucas and Emily gave her for Christmas...


As usual it was sad to see Lucas go, but we had a really good time with him and that I am grateful for.

Toby and I decided that we would go eat our Thanksgiving meal on Thanksgiving eve, instead of fighting the crowd's on the day. I always like to get ahead of the game when it comes to traffic and crowds of people.

Skye took this picture of me and Toby. Toby is wearing the new shirt Lucas and Emily got him for Christmas. Skye said he looks like a white suburban dad in it. I have to admit it was nice to see him in something other than his black, drab attire which he sports on a daily basis.


On Thanksgiving day we went to the park. Toby and I walked while Skye rode her skateboard. It was so quite and peaceful there. Not a soul around and it was a beautiful day...


There are a couple of farms that butt right up to the park. It's one of my favorite things about this park..


Skye taking a photo of the old house on the park's property...


When we got home we watched a movie. It was a good Thanksgiving this year. Lots to be thankful for.




No comments:

Post a Comment