Saturday, October 8, 2011

Boredom

"I'm Bored" seems to be a fairly common expression you hear come out of a child's mouth.

To be honest, I have a distaste for the expression and obviously my mother also did. When my brother and I were young, if we expressed boredom we were promptly put to work dusting, cleaning our rooms or some other mundane chore. Mom nipped the word bored in the bud really quick - didn't take us very long to figure out the word bored was just as naughty as the "F" word.

I can now see where she was coming from. Certainly SHE was not bored with all the household chores and responsibilities that it took to run a household, satisfy a husband, and raise kids.

Although I have heard the word come out of Summer's mouth once or twice...mostly from mimicking her friends that were using the word, it's a rare event.

She doesn't get bored very often and when she has, those were the times she would concoct some of her most inventive ideas and creations.

It seems bored is a common word used among her traditionally schooled friends. I have noticed that even when they are sitting around in a group they proclaim to be "bored". How can one be bored with a group of friends I ask you???????

My observation is that a schooledchild has been so scheduled as to what the next activity will be that they have very little free time on their hands. They have no idea what to do with free time when they have it. They have been molded into what society wants them to be....ROBOTS that are told what to do, how to think, what to wear, and how to behave. No need to think about what you want to do in your free time because there is not much FREE TIME.

I can remember when I was in the "workforce" I would sometimes call in sick to work to give myself a day of freedom and relaxation. At the end of the day, I never really enjoyed my day of freedom because I ended up wasting my day away wondering what I should be doing. I was so used to my daily routine of scheduled tasks that I actually felt out of place and odd with free time. I was always glad to get back to work the next day just because I knew what was expected of me.

Is this what's happening to our young generation??? They can't even think for themselves anymore because there is always somebody there that knows more than they do to tell them what is expected of them??

I hope not, but I think so....

No comments:

Post a Comment