Saturday, October 15, 2011

Cathedral of Junk

The Cathedral of Junk is another Austin icon that I just now got around to visiting and I must say that even though it was near the bottom of my list of things to see and do, I couldn't help but, for the first time ever, be impressed with junk.

I usually save my little morning getaways with my friend Robin for myself and leave Mr. and Mrs. Sleeping Beauty in the bed while I enjoy some much needed uninterrupted adult conversation, but this morning was different. We were going to the Cathedral of Junk and I thought that it would be a fun outing for Summer also.

The Cathedral was tucked back into a suburban neighborhood and unless you knew it was there...or saw all the people hanging around waiting to get into the backyard to view the "sculpture". I'm sure this guy's neighbors really love him....



If I were to use a phrase to describe the Cathedral I would say that it's visual time capsule. I stared mesmerized into the whole being of the creation..kind of like looking through a microscope at a large object and seeing all smaller parts that make the whole over time.

You can meander through the halls Cathedral looking at all the junk collected over time to create this 3 story Cathedral.

This is one of those instances where you definitely have to be there to get the full effect. I have seen pictures before but it's nothing like really being there and walking through it experiencing it.











We also squeezed in a picnic lunch at a nearby park. We had fun looking at the historical tombstones tucked away in the woods at the park.





A little playground time and end the day with some Amy's Ice Cream. I think we all had a thumbs up kind of day!

1 comment:

  1. What a weird place! I think that sort of thing would be pretty fun to go check out, but I agree that the guys neighbors must just think he's nuts. :-)

    ReplyDelete