Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Medic Mania

I took a little break from blogging. I do that sometimes.

In light of Toby's recent gluten issue, I have spent the last couple of weeks perusing gluten-free menu options, studying up on the "allergy", and doing research on GF substitutes for some of  his favorite foods.

Luckily,  HEB has a large selection of GF items and has even added to their selection since my last shopping trip a week ago. Interesting, that aside from those that have gluten intolerance/Celiac it seems to be the "fad diet" of the day. Over the past two weeks I have questioned many times why someone who does not need to medically cut gluten out of their diet would voluntarily do it. Beats me.

I never realized how much our life revolves around food until this GF challenge. It's been challenging at times but not as hard as I thought it would be. We already had changed over to a more plant-based diet in the past  year so all we had to do was tweak it a little bit.

Because we are out and about a lot on Toby's off days, eating out has been our biggest challenge.

Quite honestly it's all worth it to me to see Toby feeling and looking better. No more poop-fests at Walmart, the park, or wherever we may be at the time, clear skin, no more afternoon crashes, no more stomach cramps and bloating, etc.

As a wife and caregiver of the family I've privately scolded myself for letting him go that long without me taking charge of his health. Growing up, my dad would always take the newspaper with him into the bathroom immediately after every meal so I guess I just assumed that it was normal for a man to immediately expel his food...hmmmm, now that I think about it maybe dad had a gluten allergy....

Skye also has an issue I had to take action with. A few weeks ago she came in from playing basketball with her friends and told me her thumbnail was sore. I looked at it and didn't see anything so I assumed she just jammed it something playing ball.

A few days went by and she still complained about it. I looked at it again and saw nothing. After another week she still was flinching and pulling back anytime anybody got near her thumb. I looked at it again and noticed it was a little white underneath the nail and assumed maybe she had a splinter or something underneath her nail.

A few more days went by and it just got worse. The pain is so bad she can't even use her thumb and grows horns and a potty mouth anytime anyone accidentally bumps it.

As it grew I came to the conclusion it is a wart underneath her fingernail and as the wart grows it's pushing her fingernail up from her nail bed which is causing the severe pain.

Once I figured out the source of her pain I have been soaking a cotton ball in vinegar and placing it on her thumb wrapped in a band aid every night. It's only been 3 days since I have been using this method so I will have to wait a little longer to see if it will do the trick.

She suggested we go to the beach because the last wart she had disappeared after a trip to the beach. I know sea water is good for wounds but I'm sure the Gulf water is not warm enough to swim around in yet..not for me anyway.

Good news is the nurse (me) is as healthy as a horse. :-)











1 comment:

  1. I, like Dad, am pretty regular. I just happen to go in the morning like clockwork... I think Dad was just in a different time zone. I don't think he had gluten issues.

    For Skye, I would look at using garlic or gentian violet. If you can get garlic juice near the wart, I am pretty sure it can get rid of it. I had a monster wart on my foot that I couldn't get to go away until I started cutting garlic and taping it to the wart with a bandage. It went away fairly quick after I did that. Selenium is a strong antiviral nutrient and Brazil nuts are one of the richest natural sources of selenium. Just things to think about... other than poopfests ;-)

    ReplyDelete