Sunday, April 23, 2017

Lake Austin

Today, Toby and I aimed to venture new territory on our downtown walk. We parked under the Mopac Bridge and headed up Lake Austin Boulevard.

Pretty much all we saw was....Lake Austin Boulevard..


It was a nice, but rather boring walk, so I passed time taking pictures of pretty things, like this yellow blooming tree. We have a few of these in the greenbelt behind our home. They are beautiful with their spring blooms, but are pretty much bare the rest of the year....


There was also an abundance of Mustang Grape vines. Mustang grapes are edible, but they are more tart than sweet, so not as popular as concord grapes.....


We also walked by a community garden. I love the idea of a community garden. There's one nearby my house that I've been meaning to check out....


Hi, big guy.....


It was a rather hot day, so I was breaking out in a sweat. When we walked by Deep Eddy Pool it really looked inviting, and even better there weren't thousands of little urinating curtain climbers in it....



We walked along the Lake Trail back to the car....



It was a good walk and relaxing day. It was also nice being out and not pressed for time to get back home, because Skye has a license now and had taken our extra car to run her own errands.

I've slightly gotten addicted to watching Rachel Ray in the afternoons. Most of her meals are full of wheat products and high in calories, but I've learned a few cooking tips I didn't know from watching her show.

This morning, I took some time out in the kitchen to try out some new things I wanted to try. Since we don't eat wheat products, we miss things like crackers for dipping, so I tried these cheese "chips" I saw on Pinterest. Just 3 ingredients of Parmesan cheese, thyme and nutritional yeast. They were very good. Toby and Skye liked them too. I had to refrain from eating the whole batch myself....


I also had some tofu in the fridge that I needed to make before the expiration date. I'm not a fan of soy products, but I will buy organic tofu every once in awhile. I've always had a problem getting the moisture out enough for it to cook crisp and not mushy. I read somewhere you can put it in the oven and dry it out a bit before you cook it, so that's what I did. It turned out delicious and had a very "meaty" texture instead of the mushy texture I usually get.

Again, I had to refrain from eating the whole batch.....


As opposed to yesterday where I was pouring sweat, it was very unusually cold today, so I didn't venture outside except for our morning walk.


No comments:

Post a Comment