Friday, July 22, 2011

East Metropolitan Park Jewel

An approximate mile from my house sits one of the most peaceful parks I have ever had the pleasure to visit. East Metropolitan County Park in my opinion is one of the better jewels on the more eastern side of Austin.

It sits nestled in the middle of miles of farmland and prairie. If you didn't know it was there, you may would never know.

I guess I may be a little partial to it because it's very convenient to my home, never overcrowded, quite, and clean.

There is a little something for everyone at East Metro. A pool, sports fields, catch and release fishing, disc golf, tennis and basketball courts, picnic areas, volleyball courts, indoor pavilion rentals, a paved walking trail, and a a couple of small playgrounds.

In the past 3 1/2 years I have utilized a few of the amenities at the park but lately my favorite is the disc golf course...but not for disc golf. I have found the disc golf course to be the perfect hiking/running path.

I can arrive early in the morning and hike, run, or just walk..whatever strikes my mood for the day. It's mostly shaded and when there's not a drought going on there are streams that meander throughout the course. From my estimation the course is approximately 2 to 2 1/2 miles depending on which trail you take.

Wildlife is abundant..there again, depending on the weather conditions what you may come across. Being a natural kind of "girl", this place is my mecca.

Even though East Metro has a nice paved path that loops throughout the park, I prefer to use the natural trails as opposed to pounding the pavement - which I have to do when I run my neighborhood.

Here I will give you a glimpse of what a stroll/run/hike/play through the disc golf course would look like....

The entrance into the trail..









Exiting out of the trail onto the paved path....





Cooling off in the pond is Bo's favorite part...



And back to the car....



Nice and refreshed for the day ahead.

1 comment:

  1. I think it would be my mecca too, isn't it great that we get to visit so many places via the beautiful people we meet in blogland...

    ReplyDelete