Friday, November 18, 2011

Jack of All Trades

I have always had a creative side to me. As a child I loved to draw, color, paint, or decoupage. I even went through a calligraphy phase as a young teen and I must say was pretty good at. When I was around 11 years old my Aunt Sarah taught me to crochet which I learned with ease and created many small crocheted projects over the years.

My grandmother also did a lot of sewing and quilting. Oddly enough, my grandfather also used to crochet and quilt. I would have loved to have inherited one of their handmade quilts but somehow or another I was left out of the loop when the quilts were being handed out. Luckily, I do have one that my grandmother quilted just for me when I was pregnant with Lucas...23 years ago.

Anyway, last year Summer worked on a group quilt for a 4-H project. It was obvious that I had more fun working on it than she did. That 4-H quilt project lit a fire inside of me for quilting but I didn't really pursue anything until this year when I volunteered Summer-insert scowl from Summer here-for another quilt group project.

In the process of working on the group quilt this year I kept thinking how I would like to sew my own quilt so I took my stashed birthday money my dad so graciously gives me every year and bought me a sewing machine.

All this being said, I never excelled at any of my projects and tend to jump from one "craft" to another.

Here is my latest creative venture, a quilt for Summer.....



Bo obviously likes it because every time I have it on the floor to piece it he plants himself on top of it...



For whatever it's worth I'm enjoying the process. I'm finding sewing to be very relaxing.

1 comment:

  1. Such pretty colors in the quilt! I love the brown polka dot squares. I've been in the mood for a little quilting myself lately, but haven't had the chance to get started. It can be very relaxing, right?

    ReplyDelete