Friday, November 25, 2011

What's For Dinner?

Not much cooking went on last week but I did manage to try one new recipe that I wanted to share. It was really good but very spicy so if you don't like spicy foods this may not be one you want to try. Before I moved to Texas I didn't really have a taste for spicy foods but now that I have been exposed to spicier foods I prefer my food with a little "kick" to it.

This is CHIPOTLE BLACK BEAN SOUP....



2 tbsp olive oil
1 bay leaf
1 cup vidailia onion, minced
2 celery ribs, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tsp Chipotle seasoning
1 cup frozen white corn kernels ( I used canned)
2 cans black beans
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (32 oz) carton vegetable stock
1 cup white rice cooked ( I used brown because that's what I had on hand )

Saute bay leaf, onion, celery and garlic in olive oil. Add Chipotle seasoning, then corn and both cans of undrained black beans. Add chili powder, coriander and cumin stirring well. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce and stock. Cover and bring to a boil. Add rice and simmer for about 10 minutes.


Another staple food we keep around is salad. Salad can be as filling or light as you want it to be and it's something we ALL like..including Summer.

Each week I try to change it up. One week I might add broccoli and cauliflower and the next week it may be carrots and radishes. The dressing can range anywhere from buttermilk ranch to olive oil.

I also quit buying the packaged salad mixes. I found that I can buy a head of Romaine lettuce for .88 and chop it myself as opposed to the pre-cut packaged for $2.68 a bag.

This week our salad consisted of Romaine lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, shredded cheese, bacon bits, and buttermilk ranch...and of course, seasoned croutons.

1 comment:

  1. Bring on the "kick"! I am a spice fiend and often tend to add a dash of this or a sprinkle of that to my food to give it a spicy flavor.

    So I know I'll love your chipotle black bean soup.

    ReplyDelete