Sunday, November 13, 2011

What's For Dinner?

I don't often cook the same main meal twice. Most people cook the same favorite dishes over and over again..or at least my mom used to, and I think I used to years ago when I was a working mom.

Over the years I began to bore with my menu selections. Nowadays I have just a handful of favorites that I cook repeatedly, e.g. spaghetti or chicken and dumplings.

Most of my weekly menu preparation time is spent scouring the Internet, cookbooks and magazines in search of new menu selections to test out.

This practice is probably why I find grocery shopping and menu preparation time consuming and stressful.

Since my new lifestyle change this past year and Toby's recent request for less heavy, healthier foods I have been trying to work in more fresh/whole foods into our diet.

Mind you, as simple as the below recipes look, I was in the kitchen all morning preparing our meal for the day. It takes time to chop fresh herbs and veggies.

I find that I really enjoy cooking if I'm doing it for fun and I'm not pressed for time.

Here is what was on the menu for today.

This is my favorite snack and it's one I prepare almost weekly! My Hispanic neighbors inspired me with this yummy AVOCADO SALAD. I love it because I can eat it as a snack or a meal and it's filling.

5-6 Roma tomatoes chopped
1 large avocado chopped
1/2 cup chopped green onions
chopped jalapenos to taste
chopped cilantro
2 cloves fresh garlic
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
juice from one medium fresh lime
A bag of Totino's Restaurant Style chips for dipping



This one is a new one worth the preparation.

GARBANZO ZUCCHINI SALAD
1 zucchini cut into bite size pieces
2 cups tomatoes chopped
1 can garbanzo beans drained (I only added half the can because Toby does not like alot of beans)
2 tsp dry parsley or 2 tbs fresh (I used fresh because I had it on hand)
1/2 tsp basil or 1 tbs fresh basil (I used dry)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp dill weed
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 green onions, chopped

Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Squeeze the juice from 1 lemon over the mixture. Marinate 30 minutes before serving.



Here is Toby's favorite, AVOCADO SANDWICH..

This one I sort of tweaked on my own off of another recipe and it worked out pretty well.

whole grain bread toasted (I use Mrs. Baird's whole grain sugar free bread)
mayonnaise
1 avocado sliced
1 lime for juice squeezed over sliced avocado
a pinch of fresh cilantro
half a cucumber sliced
garlic flavored chili sauce
any other veggie you would like to add...I use whatever I have on hand. Most the time lettuce or tomato.



I also prepared these MARINATED CUCUMBERS for a side or just a snack when I'm wanting just a little something to munch on....

2 tsp sugar
4 tsp red wine or rice vinegar (I used red wine vinegar)
2 tsp olive oil
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp soy sauce
tiny pinch of red pepper flakes
1 tsp cilantro

Mix together well until the sugar dissolves.

2 green onions chopped (tops and the white part)
1 large cucumber sliced thin, leave the skin on

Add the green onions and cucumber slices to the marinade mixture and let it sit for at least 30 minutes, stirring frequently.



There! A meal fit for a king!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Laura...these look so good. I'm jotting them down and I'm looking forward to trying them. I love avocado, so anything new I can do with them, I'm happy. YUM!

    ReplyDelete