Thursday, December 11, 2008

One Year Later.......

Well it has been a year since we have been living in Texas. As I look back and remember the day we loaded up the last box on the U-Haul back in Alabama I can only remember the feeling of standing in the living room of the place I called home for the last 6 years.

Standing there making sure there were no possession accidentally left behind, I was reminded of what you hear it's like when your dieing....your life flashing before your eyes. As I stood in the center of my living room scanning the area of any stray possessions, I could "see" every happening of the past six years good and bad....it was my life in a rush of memories. It was a bittersweet feeling. I knew I was about to embark on the biggest adventure of my life. Still, there was the feeling that I was leaving what I knew and found comfort in.

As I write this my tears are flowing with the memory of the life, family and friends I left behind. Even so, I believe we let our life get a little too comfortable at times. To remain "alive" we must shake it up a little. I could have stayed forever in my comfort zone in my hometown but would have never experienced the things I have experienced in my 500 mile away move.

A year later, looking back I still would have made the decision to move. Sometimes I believe that people get attached to the memory of the way things were and want to "go home". I know if I ever moved back to my hometown it would never be the same as what I remember. People change and things change.....life changes.

I feel I am a much stronger person for the move and feel that my daughter as she gets older will have many more opportunities to pursue her life's dreams because of our location. As mothers, we all want to make sure our kids have the best opportunities that are available and within reach.

Now if I can just get my oldest baby here with me. :-)

I will always hold a special place in my heart for my hometown. I still have my Alabama car tag and will always keep it as a reminder of where I came from. Even though Alabama is not the greatest state in the U.S., I always say with pride "I am from Alabama". It's funny, nobody here seems to be as impressed with that as I am.....I guess that's what they would call "foolish pride". :-)

2 comments:

  1. Awww, I remember the last time I saw you before you left as well...it was at the park at your little farewell party. I cried that day...it is always hard to say goodbye to someone in which you hold dear.

    As I continue to follow your journey, I know for a fact that ya'll made the right decision...your whole world has opened up and the opportunities are grand. I am so happy for ya'll...you have a great home, cute town and so many awesome adventures. Way more then good'ol Mobile, Alabamie could ever offer...unfortunately.

    Love ya girl...continue to embrace this journey...live, love and laugh...everyday :~)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura I have shaken things up more times than I care to count. I am looking forward to being in one place for more than two years and setting down some roots.

    I am glad you are settling in so well out there. Just wish you were a little closer. I look forward to someday coming to visit and exploring this wonderful town you have introduced us to in this blog.

    Kathryn says hi and to tell Summer Hi and Merry Christmas. BTW Hi to Toby too

    ReplyDelete