Saturday, April 14, 2012

Happy Camper

One of our favorite pastimes in Alabama was to camp. For various reasons we don't do much camping here in Texas.

When Toby suggested we do a camping trip while the burn ban was off and the lakes are full I have to admit I was more than reluctant.

I had visions of the tween striking a streak of boredom from being away from friends and technology and the dog causing all sorts of disturber with his prey drive in a place that was meant for relaxation. Put bluntly...I really didn't want to go and secretly hoped that some slight tragedy would happen that would prevent us from going.

Luckily, I've learned to trust my inner instincts instead of my anticipated fears and proceeded with the trip.

We ALL had a great time. It ended up being one of those trips that I look longingly back on and look forward to doing again.

We camped at Inks Lake, which is the first and only other place we have camped here. Even though there are numerous other places to camp, we have an affection for Inks and have gone there just for the day in the past.

Because it was off season we were able to pick and choose our campsite spot, which we had mentally picked out from previous day trips to Inks.

When we first arrived we unloaded, hung out near the water, and set up our temporary housing for the evening....






After we got settled and explored our campsite area for awhile we decided to go for a short hike along the nearby trail....



When we got back it was time for some dinner.  Summer enjoyed helping Toby prep and chop wood for the fire....



Summer had a unique way of observing the grilll....

 And Bo said it looks really yummy to him....


After our dinner we had a little daylight left so we took a walk to the nearby fishing pier....



By the time we got back it was dark so Toby and I made us an adult beverage and Summer roasted her and Bo some marshmallows, and we settled in and told a few ghost stories. Before long the sound of night birds, jumping fish, coyotes, and other unidentifiable species along with an abundance of adult beverage and sugary marshmallows lured us all  to slumber land.

I woke up a few times during the night by the movement of Bo who, out of the confines of his kennel, had snuggled up against me. Every rustle of wildlife outside of the tent caused him to become alert. Luckily he's not a barker and only silently observed. Secretly I loved him nestled beside me and enjoyed his dog smell and warmth his body gave me against the night chill.

The only mishap of our trip happened at early dawn the next morning. The squirrels began their morning play in the trees above the tent. With nothing but a thin screen between the playful squirrels and us it was all Bo could take and he took a giant lunge into the air to snag one. When he came back down his claw took a dig into our airbed. With air quickly seeping out of the bed, that was our cue to get up and get our day started.

We spent most of the morning at our campsite drinking coffee, preparing our breakfast over the grill, feeding ducks, catching minnows at the lake edge, and packing up the tent and supplies.

After we packed up we took a hike. The wildflowers along the way were beautiful...




Here is Devil's Waterhole cliff. The goal is to jump off the top of  the cliff into the water. Summer and Toby have done it, but there is not enough bravery in my bones to do it...


We finally got to our destination, our favorite swimming hole. It's perfect...

 Bo is a very photogenic dog...




Bo LOVES to swim. This is the one area we can just let him go and he will swim continuously only periodically stopping for a break then jumping back in...




As we were leaving I came across this sign...

WOW!! After I read the sign I thought about how everything from dinosaurs to the Native Americans and pioneers of this area had most likely walked along those same rocks. Now that's some history!!

The history also could be why this place feels so magical. As reluctant as I felt to make the trip, I felt just as reluctant to leave.



1 comment:

  1. Love the pic of Summer contemplating the grill from above! Sounds like a great trip! I was surprised you only did one night. By the time I do the initial packing, get there, and then get the campsite set up, I am ready to stay put for two nights at least! Your swimming photos were making me jealous...it's warmer, but not even close to swimming weather yet in Ohio!

    ReplyDelete