Saturday, April 26, 2014

Merry Menarche

Skye started her path into womanhood recently. In true menstrual fashion, Aunt Flo made its appearance on the night of the blood moon AND the night before our mini vacation to Ft. Worth. How appropriate that it shows up at the most inconvenient time.

I vaguely remember my first period.

Around the time I was to begin my first menstrual cycle my mother gave me a book to read "What Every Girl Should Know About Her First Period"...or something along those lines. I read the book and half-ass comprehended some of it. Back in my day, nobody in my small friends circle openly talked about our periods and my parents weren't exactly the open for discussion types when it came to the birds and the bees so most of what I understood about the entrance into womanhood was guesswork.

On my first day into womanhood I was hanging out on the carport after a school day with neighborhood friends. I felt crampy and a bit sick at my stomach. After several hours of cramping and progressive blood flow I finally told my mother. There wasn't much discussion but more of a sense of privacy and shame as she led me into her bedroom and gave me a Kotex belt  and an over sized pad and instructed me how to attach it. I remember thinking I was doomed if I had to don this attire every month for the next few decades.

Skye took it like water off a duck's back and didn't complain or moan at all about it showing up just in time for vacation, nor did she act like it was any sort of inconvenience. I was a little surprised considering she's prone to make really big issues out of small occurrences.

So now my teenage daughter is now a woman....HEAR HER ROAR!!


1 comment:

  1. Congrats to the new woman! My G'daughter took it in stride, too. Her mom hid outside to call me and cry because her baby was all grown up!

    ReplyDelete