Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Children' s Museum

The Children's Museum theme this quarter is electricity. Summer just got through with a study on electricity so I thought it would be an appropriate time to make a trip back to the museum.

The kids had a great time. We were there a few hours with them not tiring one bit.

They had a replica of the metro train here in Austin. I am looking forward to planning a time to take a trip on the city train.


There was also a story time which they lost quick interest in.....there were too many other things to do.



There was an "Austin City Limits" mini stage where they could watch themselves perform on a T.V.



They had some crafts. They built a sling shot and made "snow".




There was a pretend restuarant which ALL of the kids loved.



And just plain having a good ole time.




We had a great day but later in the day was not quite as relaxing. Last week Toby had tripped going up the stairs and grabbed hold of the stair railing to catch his fall. When he grabbed the railing with his full weight it pulled the bottom half of it out of the wall.

It was minor of course, but still noticeable. I know he works two jobs (and of course I do too, but no one notices that one) but I made sure that fixing the railing was on our priority list.

A week later the railing he is still being worked on in increments. I guess I am just more of a go getter kind of person and I like to get unejoyable tasks done and out of the way. So I start asking him innocent questions on the progress of the railing. He gets very defensive and LOUD about how he just didn't feel like fooling with it today. Hmmmm........I don't feel like doing a lot of things either but I know they need to be done so they get done.

I figured out there is a reason why GOD made women.....SO SOMETHING WOULD GET ACCOMPLISHED and so they could put fire up underneath a man's ass when need be.

So shortly after the railing incident Summer comes home telling me she had an issue with the little black girl a couple of houses down. She doesn't normally play with this little girl but they were out in her front yard playing and I could see them from my window. Matter of fact, Summer has told me before that she does not even like this little girl so it was unusual for her to be playing with her.

Anyway, it was a couple of the little neighborhood kids playing tag. The story goes when Summer tagged the little black girl she pushed her down. The mom of this little girl decided that Summer plays too rough and told Summer to "go home and never come back over there".

Of course as a mom I wanted to hear the whole story so I commenced to walking my ass down there with my daughter to hear the other side of the story. I am not naive and know that my daughter is fully capable of being mean so I knew that it was a possiblity that she was probably not all that innocent.

In the end I never got to speak with the mom. The dad definitely wears the pants in the family. I introduced myself and he was very nice and told me that Summer was just getting a little too rough with his daughter. Summer has always played with boys so we did have a conversation about gentleness when playing with other kids.

I do know Summer well enough to know that if she was intentionally being rough that she was probably feeling threated in some way by this little girl.

I just wanted the whole thing cleared up and didn't want any neighborhood enemies. To be fair to Summer I will say that I have seen this little girl out playing and have seen and heard her say and do things that did not shed a favorable light on her behavior. You never know with kids.

In the end, I think I am just going to not allow her to play with this little girl anymore. My instincts tell me that they will never be good friends anyway and I certainly don't want "Big Momma" down here on me. :-)

I always wished for a neighborhood full of kids for Summer to play with, but sometimes it can be stressful. Be careful what you wish for.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I'm 44! And I'm an Austin mom.

    Just for the heck of it I clicked on the "Austin" tag on Blogger, and up popped your site's link.

    Pretty cool.

    I'm relatively new to blogging and loving it.

    As to your post, I agree, roughness is never to be tolerated.

    We haven't been to the new ACM exhibit yet, thanks for the inspiration! We practically lived there beween my girl's are of 1 to 4!

    Nice to "meet" you!

    Jannie

    ReplyDelete