Saturday, July 17, 2010

Day Trip to Waco - Mayborn Museum

Our next stop was Mayborn Museum. This is by far the largest and best museum I have ever been to. Granted, I'm not all that cultured where museums are concerned but in my realm this one tops the list.

Luckily we happened upon a special exhibit, the Lego Castle Adventure and Medieval Merriment Day.

Our first stop was the Medieval play that was about to begin. I wasn't sure if Summer would like it but I kinda had the feeling she may would enjoy watching a short skit/play. After the first skit about King Arthur I asked her if she wanted to stay for the next skit and she said yes, so we sat through the next one.

Our next stop was the discovery rooms. There are 17 of them ranging from weather, health, communication, old west, invertebrate, etc.

As usual Toby kept me amused with his antics. Here are some favorites...

Aren't they cute??



Not too long ago Summer would have spent most of her time in this room. She's growing up quick...



I was impressed Summer could jump so far. She made it to 5ft but I could only make it to 3ft...I guess I have alot more weight to carry across..lol.



This was the first time Summer had ever seen a manual typewriter. She had fun typing on it..



Here are the "kids" playing operator...



I thought this was a cool train. It circled around the ceiling and on the floor below there was a huge model train set...



A floor piano...



We had fun with the huge bubble blowers....



Dressing Toby up as a cowboy..what else are dads for???



Howdy...



After we played in the discovery room section we headed to the Lego display.

NOTE: This post will never depict this museum as it is. If ever you are in Waco this is a MUST SEE museum.

It was impressed someone could make these creations out of Lego's...my Lego creations look nothing like these...





Next stop was the Natural History section. My personal favorite.




This is Waco's famous mammoth fossil....







A blue whale fossil...





To all my friends and family that think I drive too slow I am informing you that Temple, Tx. highway patrol does not think that way. On the way home I got a speeding ticket...ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

O'well, it was a great day atleast 95% of the time.

2 comments:

  1. Ya'll always find the coolest places and have the bestest fun!!! OMG I got to come to Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While the Mayborn is a cool place -- been there several times -- I can't believe you didn't make it over to the Dr. Pepper Museum. Or the Texas Ranger's Museum. You gotta' go back, but slow down in Temple. And, Michele, I have a plaque in my house that says: "Life is too short to not live it as a Texan" -- even us displaced ones live that one.

    ReplyDelete