Monday, January 11, 2010

Fair-weather Friends

Definition of fair-weather friends - A friend who is only nice to you when it's convenient. Someone who's wishy-washy. Someone who is a "backstabber." Someone who abandons you when another more favored friend comes around. A friend that is there only when they are bored or lonely, or when they need something....

.....I don't even remember at what point in my life I became familiar with the term "fair-weathered friend" but I have used the term often since Summer has been old enough to make actual "friends".

If we are honest, we know that all of us women have been fair-weathered friends at one point or another in our lives.

Fair-weathered friends come in all shapes and sizes. Even the homeschooling community is not free from those fair-weathered friends. Matter of fact, Summer's first encounter with a fair-weathered friend came from our first homeschool group. Yes, even 5 year old girls are capable of being fair-weathered friends.

Recently, in the past couple of months I have observed a few of Summer's fair-weathered neighborhood friends. She probably is not as aware of fair-weathered friend behavior as I am. After all, after 40 years of experience I can spot fake friends a mile off.

Take note again that I am not claiming innocence of always being a loyal friend. I know there have been a few times when I have abandoned my friends for whatever reason. Shame on me. As I get older I respect what little friendships that I do have a little more. I have learned the importance of having good friends.

Anyway, in my younger days most of my friends consisted of partying buddies. After I met Toby and began to settle down all of my friends consisted of women that had a motive of snaring my eligible young brother-in-law who lived with us at the time. I must admit I had let my friendship guard down and I did not become aware of these vulture type friends until it was obvious to them my picky brother-in-law had no interest. It was at that point they decided to move on the better "meat territory".

Anyway, Summer doesn't seem to be bothered by her fair-weather friends. Because her brother is so much older than her, it sort of makes her an only child. She usually will just go with the flow and put up with most anything. As long as she has someone to play with she is satisfied..even at the convenience of other kids.

Anyway, I guess as the saying goes...."To have a friend, you have to be a friend."

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...having an "ah-ha" moment lately are ya?

    I read somewhere that in your lifetime you could probably count on one hand "true" friends...you know, the ones that love you for richer/poorer, sickness/health, skinny/fat...just as you are and who you are type of friends.

    I can say for sure that statement is true for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have only a few true friends... have a lot of aquaintances. True friends are few and far between. Good for Summer that it seems to matter little to her that there are people like that. She will find that special friend one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. silence btween two unknwn people creates a relation as friendship......
    N

    ReplyDelete