Sunday, May 25, 2008

Texas Heat

The clock just now turned 8:45 pm. It is finally dark. I guess I never really paid a whole lot of attention to sunset times in Alabama but for some reason it seems like the sun sets much later here. Which in turn means that Summer stays outside playing much later....now that she has neighborhood playmates to stay out and play with.

I guess my parenting skills falter along the lines of "playtime". I can remember being Summer's age and having to go to bed at dusk. My bedtime would be eight o'clock. I can remember lying in bed still hearing the kids out in the street playing while I was suppose to be going to sleep. I always felt like I was missing out on something, although now I know I probably wasn't.

It has been really hot during the day here climbing close to 100 degrees. We don't have many tall trees here so there is nothing but blaring sun and not much shade. The upside to this is there is not too much humidity so you mostly feel the hotness and not the smothering suffocating humidity. In the early morning and evening it is quite comfortable and always with a breeze. Hopefully this is just not a tease and it will remain this way througut the summer.

The past week Summer has spent most of her days underneath the waterhose, sprinkler and on the slip and slide.......oh, and the next door neighbors plastic pools that she bought to keep the kids cool.

We have no trees in our yard and there is not much shade......much different from our home in Alabama where the whole yard was covered by shade and you never saw the sun. Needless to say, Summer and I are beginning to blend in fine with the culture here thanks to our nice tan we have going on. :-)

There are plenty of places to keep cool around here but I have been thinking serious and hard about buying another pool like we had in Mobile. We all really enjoyed the pool. It was also fairly easy to maintain and not too, too expensive to keep up.

Sometimes you just don't want to swim with every Tom, Dick and Harry and their kids.

1 comment:

  1. I am so with you on getting dark later! It gets dark after 9 here which is just heavenly! Except on the occasion I'm trying to get Archie in bed at a decent hour...Why do I have to get a bath and get ready for bed in the daytime????? :-)

    Finally, I don't have to be jealous of your weather anymore...ours is better than yours now!!! We still haven't had to turn on the AC!!

    ReplyDelete