Saturday, May 29, 2010

A New Toy

After years of owning soft side pools, we finally bit the bullet and bought us an above ground swimming pool.

To be quite honest, I could totally live without the irritation of a backyard swimming pool of any sort. There is a huge park pool right up the road and more than enough swimming holes and lakes to take a dip in when the mood strikes. Not to mention, I wouldn't have the irritation of controlling, monitoring, and keeping peace among kids that show up out of the woodwork that seem to think we installed our pool as an extension of neighborhood amenities.

No, I don't just let any kid enjoy the pool. The rule is if you were Summer's friend before we got a pool than you are more than welcome to come swim when you are invited AND with your parents written permission. I am not a babysitter so if you don't feel comfortable with your kid in a large pool without adult supervision it's best you keep your kid at home. I don't sit out in the full blast sun to watch my own kid swim much less the neighborhood kids. There is not one lick of shade in my yard and I don't go outside to get toasted unless I am working in the yard or plan on jumping in the pool myself.

So, hopefully the new will wear off the pool and life can get back to normal around here and we can enjoy our new pool without little longing faces peering over the fence, the phone ringing off the hook, and the doorbell ringing.

On a more positive note, I took my first "spin" in the pool today. I enjoyed it a bit more than I thought I would. Just looking at it doesn't appear that big but once you get in you realize there is plenty of space for the three of us. It's a great source of exercise, family bonding, and relaxation.

This is only the beginning though. We still have to build a deck, level and spread the rock hard clay, and somehow regrow a large area of destroyed grass. I have seen my future for the summer and it involves working and sweating like a man. I would say we won't be ready for pool parties until next summer...*sigh*

Here are a few pics of our home project:

The first thing that had to be done was install a gate. Our neighborhood is safe and quite but it is full of kids of all ages. I've heard stories of neighbors making themselves at home in another neighbors pool while they are gone. Better safe than sorry.



Our soil is not really soil in my opinion. It has the consistency of half dried glue when damp, but when it's dry it's hard as concrete. To put it bluntly, I hate it. It has been the one and only thing about this area I can say that I truly hate.

I'm assuming the poor guy having to dig in the crap hated it too. Even though he spoke Spanish there was that universal language being spoken (sh** and ****ing) while he was trying to manipulate the "dirt".






At one point I think Summer was enjoying the boxes the toy came in more than she was enjoying the actual toy. That's kids for ya...



So, after enjoying a day of fun in the sun I am sporting a nice sunburn. It's not my first and I doubt it will be my last.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new toy! I was thinking today that this is the first year that Andrew has really enjoyed our pool with friends the most...age thing I guess, teens love to swim! They've pulled the trampoline over and jump, jump, jump into the pool, a little dangerous, but nothing that a visit to the ER and cast won't fix ;~)

    Love your friend rules...way to go making them early on before it got out of hand.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhh...the lottery post makes perfect sense now!!! Good job setting the boundaries early with all the neighbourhood kiddos. You're a smart woman!

    ReplyDelete