Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Torn

It's closing in on me. The holiday that I once loved very much as a child is making me feel like a present prisoner.

This is one of the few times in my life that I'm grateful for having a small family and friends with no expectations of a Christmas gift. Make note that it's not that I don't LIKE giving gifts it's just that I'm not very good at figuring out what to give. I even have trouble figuring out what to get for my immediate family unless they have specifically requested something. I guess I'm just not perceptive in that sort of way.

This is the first year that I have recognized myself to be a scrooge. With only 2 weeks away from Christmas there is still not one gift under the tree. This late in the game I'm not sure if I have the mentality to be able to pull anything but gift cards out of my hat this year.

I've gone over and over in my head trying to figure out what has made me turn on my favorite holiday; (1) Why must the department stores put out holiday decorations alongside the Halloween stuff??? Please let me enjoy one holiday before offering me another. The excitement of the holiday season has worn off by the time Christmas arrives 2 MONTHS LATER (2) I'm nowhere near being what someone would refer to as a Christian, but seriously does it really matter if someone says Merry Christmas?? That's always been what it's been known as so why go get all political?? All this technical/political crap is annoying. Black people are still black people even if you call them African Americans and Town Lake is still Town Lake even if you change the name to Lady Bird Lake. Understand what I'm saying???? You can't please everyone nor will you ever. Keep things simple and familiar and only those really insecure people give a crap anyway.

So, on a more positive note Lucas will be joining us for Christmas this year. One of the silver linings to all this holiday hoopla.

Here is my tiny tree for my tiny house. Every year I have to find a small corner to stuff it in. My tree is certainly nothing fancy but I love it because it is predominately decorated with handmade ornaments from my kids, some family members that live in Florida,  and Toby's grandmother (Omie).


No comments:

Post a Comment