Sunday, January 4, 2009

Elgin, Alabama.....oh, I mean Texas.

We had plenty of chores that needed to be done at home today so I needed somewhere we could go that would not take up our whole day. Anytime you go to Austin you are compelled to be there all day so it was off limits. Elgin it was.

I know I said I would never go back to the city of Elgin again.(pronounced with a soft g for anyone interested.)...but never say never. I guess for me, there is an allure to it because it has qualities that are a mixture of downtown Mobile and Tillman's Corner if you can picture that one.

Elgin has a historical district with a train depot museum that I have had my eye on for a while. Although not one of the places on the top of my "list of things to do" I knew it would serve our purpose for the day.

We had plenty of chores that needed to be done at home so I needed somewhere we could go that would not take up our whole day. Anytime you go to Austin you are compelled to be there all day so it was off limits. So Elgin was it.

Our first stop into Elgin was the Southside Market. Elgin is famous for their sausage and I have to agree the food at this place was really good.....good enough that I will travel back to Elgin for the food if nothing else. Although, in my opinion the food in Alabama is much better than Texas overall, Texas has Alabama beat on the barbecue and sausage.



After our stomach's were full we headed to the Train Depot Museum. It was probably the least crowded museum I have ever been to. When we first walked into the lobby area the lady in the little office to the side came out and asked us if we were visiting. We told her yes. She asked us from where...we told her Manor and she gave us a look and told us she would let us in anyway. We couldn't figure out if it was because we were from Manor/Austin or if it was because we were not from Elgin...






She had to get a key and let us into the museum. There was absolutely no one there but us. Anyway, we walked around and educated ourselves a little on Elgin history. Now I know why Elgin seems Alabamaish....seems there were a lot of "immigrants" from Alabama that inhabited Elgin some odd years ago....hence, your reason for the conservative, non-inclusive feel.

As usual as with any other time I have been in Elgin, I was glad to see Manor and felt much more at ease when I entered back into my territory. I have observed the farther out from Austin you get the more "southern conservative" it gets. Thanks to Austin, I am not aware of people's differences anymore....that is, until I travel out of my fortress and remember that everyone is suppose to think, act, look alike and have the same beliefs.:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment