Sunday, February 1, 2009

Capitol of Texas Zoo

When Toby bought the 4Runner from the guy in Bastrop they both were a little unfamiliar about the process of vehicle transactions. By the way, I forgot to mention that the man we bought the 4Runner from son lives in Fairhope, Alabama....small world.

Anyway, because the bill of sale was not done to Texas's high standards (eye roll) we had to get back up with the guy so that he could fill out the paperwork properly.

I figured since we were already in the area we would hit the zoo located just a couple of miles from Bastrop. These days I like to utilize my time and my gas well.

The zoo was located down a very long half-ass paved country road. When we got there we walked on in...even though there was a sign on the door that said "blow your horn when you pull up". When we got inside we figured out why. There was no one in the front "office" area.

The inside was dark and dreary....and there were huge tortoises roaming around freely in there. This place was slowly but surely reminding me a lot of the Mobile Zoo in Alabama.....which was strangely comforting.




Anyway, the lady finally showed up and took our admission. You can't always judge a book by it's cover. In the end it ended up being a pretty interesting zoo. They had a few animals that we had not ever seen or heard of before, saw bats actually hanging upside down together in a group through a very tinted glass window, saw a couple of fossas which we learned that Capitol Zoo houses the only successful captive mating fossas which Jack Hannah has the offspring....we were even lucky enough to be there to witness the mountain lion and fossa feeding.

The male fossa:




I won't bore you with all the pics of everything we saw. I probably took about 50 plus pics while we were there. Here are some highlights:




The deer were roaming around freely like dogs. Here is Summer hand feeding one of them:



I caught this peacock sneaking some grapes out of the feed bags:




There was a whole pin of guinea pigs:



And of course there was a tank FULL of Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches....ick. It's been a while since I have seen a roach this size, even though Austinites claim to have cockroaches I have not seen any bigger than water bug size in the year that I have lived here.

No comments:

Post a Comment