Thursday, October 1, 2009

Cameron Park Zoo in Waco Sept. 30, 2009

We decided to head north of Austin this week. Our destination was the Cameron Park Zoo in Waco, Texas. Instead of taking interstate 35 (I always find interstate driving boring)I opted to take the FM (Farm to Market) roads.

One of my favorite things about living in this area is the roads. You can drive miles and miles at high rates of speed on these FM roads without seeing anything but farms, crops, and cows and horses. It is the most serene driving. No traffic, no cities - except small towns you drive through in a blink, just scenery.

I have to say of all the cities I have visited in Central Texas, Waco would have to be at the bottom of my list of good first impressions. Their downtown was small but it had enormous buildings that lacked charm or architectural intrigue. There was nothing about downtown Waco that was alluring at all....in my opinion. On a more positive note, as with most cities, I'm sure there are some hidden gems somewhere in their downtown area.

It's still a little warm here, but the zoo was mostly shaded so it wasn't so bad as long as you kept out of the sun. Here are some pics of our day at the zoo....












Although I had tons more pics, these are some of my favorites. I give the zoo a thumbs up. Summer must have really enjoyed it. More than once she spoke of moving to Waco to be near the zoo.

On the way to the zoo we had passed by the Dr. Pepper Museum. After our zoo trip we decided to stop in and check it out. Once we got inside we found out they would be closing soon. It wasn't worth forking out the price they wanted for the tour just to be able to stay 30 minutes. We decided to make the Dr. Pepper Museum another day. I did get a pic of Toby and Summer in front of the Museum....



We had a great day. As much as I love our "field trips" it's always just as nice to get home and relax after a long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment