Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Cinco de Mayo at SouthPark Meadows

For anyone who has not followed my blog since the beginning, Ginny is the first friend we ever made in Austin. She was also our realtor who had to jump through a few hoops to get us into our home....not to mention being our surrogate family for the month that we were house hunting.

Anyway, we don't really get to see Ginny as much as we would like because we live in the two opposite poles of Austin. Ginny is also a very busy realtor entertaining other homeless transplants, I'm sure.

Lately Summer has been asking for a "dose of Ginny". I gave Ginny a call and we met up at our usual "beer drinking hole", as I call it.

We had a great time chatting and catching up. Sadly, Ginny is going through a rough patch in her life and of course, I couldn't think of anything comforting to say other than "I'm sorry". I really don't comfort well and always walk away from situations like that obsessing over what I could have said to make them feel better. Comforting.....not one of my strong points.

Here we are at our usual table doing our usual thing...drinking and chatting:



Before we met up with Ginny we hit WalMart. I grabbed a few bulbs and wildflowers that were on clearance. When we first moved into our house there were little flower beds built up around the trees. I was constantly pulling the trailing Bermuda grass out from it. I decided to save myself some yard work and let the grass grow up around the base of the trees like this....



Well, as you can see the grass is not doing a good job of taking over the bed as I hoped that it would. Toby also complains when he is cutting the grass that it's hard to cut around the tree because of the mound and it also spews the bare dirt of the mound all over the place.

So, I decided that I would cut out the bed again and try to plant some Hosta's around the tree. I really prefer foliage over flowers...I like the tropical look and they require less upkeep than flowering plants.

We'll see how it works out. I will post pics of the finished product.

2 comments:

  1. Yea...comforting is not my strong point either. I'm sure she appreciated your listening if nothing more...that and a warm hug usually helps more then what you can say sometimes.

    Have fun with your planting...I still have a few good planting projects that I'm dreading...I think I'm starting to realize that I don't really enjoy gardening, but do it for the sake of the kids...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ask with your heart and the words you require will come, perhaps you gave her comfort in the simple fact that you where there!

    ReplyDelete