Saturday, May 2, 2009

For All Homeschoolers and Other Nature/Animal Lovers

I thought this was so cool I just had to share it here.

Live video inside a screech owl nesting box in Austin, TX. Ms. Owl laid 4 eggs, and the first egg hatched on 4/16/09 and the last one on 4/19. All 4 chicks appear to be growing well, though the smallest (youngest by a few days) may struggle. Mom and Dad bring food to the box, and Mom feeds bits to the chicks. Mom stays in the box with the chicks during the day. Most activity occurs after 8pmCT. We can expect the chicks to fledge and leave the nest in mid-May. Once they leave, they usually don't return to the box. See the video clips for the growth of the owlets. The camera is infrared in order to capture the images in the dark box, which is why the video is not in color. There is no light or sound that the camera emits so there is no disturbance to the owls.

ENJOY THE BEAUTY OF OUR NATURAL WORLD!

2 comments:

  1. What a pleasure to watch this family, I shall be visiting often I feel! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally got a chance to see the activity today in the light. Very cool! We are looking forward to watching them grow.

    We're currently watching our little baby Wrens grow in the birdhouse. Love this time of year~

    I remember long ago I found a live cam in africa watching the lions...it was neat in a freaky kind of way as I heard the crunching of dinner from one, ewww.

    ReplyDelete