Friday, January 11, 2013

Anniversary Day Out - Part 2

After we left the church we walked across the street to the Omni Hotel to take a look around. I think Summer enjoys walking around the hotels and large buildings downtown most of all.



Next, we ventured a couple of blocks over to the Driskill Hotel. The Driskill is more of a Austin historical attraction so we were able to roam more freely in there than we were in the Omni...




The Anniversary Couple


On The Balcony
 Summer was a little paranoid of the old creaking elevator...


Our next stop was the Baylor Street Art Wall. I had seen it advertised on a local Austin website a few days ago and figured since we had never been there we could incorporate it into our trip downtown...



Most of the time we were there I kept wondering how these people that lived in this (I'm sure very expensive) house right behind the graffiti wall feel about all the riff-raff, drunk college kids, and modern day hippies singing and playing their instruments (not pictured) think of the wall....


On top of the wall there was a great panoramic view of downtown....


I added my own touch of art here in this pic. I thought it was a pretty good shot of our shadows on the graffiti floor.

                                     
Unlike most people I enjoy the artistic influence of graffiti and think it gives a city character and expression. I think as long as it is tasteful it should be allowed within reason. I noticed the other day that someone has already started a strand of graffiti on the new highway robbery toll road...hehehehe, the rebellious side of me had to laugh out loud and silently cheer when I saw that one.

Last stop was the Treaty Oak.  A few years ago I came across the story of the Treaty Oak and how someone had attempted to poison and kill this 500+ year old tree and the extreme efforts it took to save it.  It's an interesting story. If you don't know about it or interested you can read the whole story here.
Because of the bedrock in this area trees don't really grow UP but more OUT and more bush-like so you can't really see the trunk of the tree because of the lower tree branches. In addition due to it's poisoning in 1989 it lost a third of the original tree....

Treaty Oak
The weather was perfect. The activities were perfect. The day was perfect.









No comments:

Post a Comment