Thursday, January 10, 2013

Remember When?

"We come to love not by finding a perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly." ~Sam Keen

Fourteen years ago today I met my husband Toby in a smokey, dark bar room. Thirteen years ago a year from that date I wed him.  I won't sugar coat or bore you by listing qualities that make my husband the perfect catch or rave on about how glorious our 13 year marriage has been. That would make me a pretender AND a bold faced liar.

It was 25 years ago, but I can remember it like it was yesterday when a family member by marriage (at the time) said to me..."Laura, there is a lot of beautiful in a marriage, but there is also a lot of ugly. You will fall in and out of love thousands of times in the course of your marriage and it will be up to you whether you depart or finish the ride before it's over ." 

No truer words were ever said. I have fallen in and out of love with my husband  thousands of times over the years, as he has me I'm almost sure. There also has been a lot of beautiful..and some very ugly throughout our marriage. I have hated him equally as much as I have loved him over our relatively short span together.

The good news is, when I look back, even though I can see the ugly, the beautiful stands out foremost in my memories with him. Nothing is flawless or without error but that doesn't mean that it's not beautiful as a whole. The years I have spent with him have been predominantly good years that I wouldn't trade for the world.

The lyrics to this song are exactly the way I feel about the man I chose to spend the rest of my life with that January day 13 years ago...





Happy 13th Anniversary Toby!!!! I love you more with each passing day we spend together.

No comments:

Post a Comment