Tuesday, April 28, 2009

What! Chiggers

A couple of weeks ago Summer was complaining of itching all around her torso area. I checked out the area and assumed that it was probably bug bites of some kind. They weren't inflamed and she didn't seem to be overly bothered by them.

A few days later, I awoke with whelps all over my thighs and backs of my legs. No other part of my body was afflicted. These bumps were itching like crazy! I am one of those people who doesn't usually feel the effects of bug bites of any kind, so it seemed a little out of the ordinary that I was so bumpy and itchy.

Initially, I blamed it on Brandi (the dog) who I have been letting sleep with us lately....fleas I assumed. After inspecting Brandi thoroughly there was not one flea on her...she only goes outside to pee and poop so the likelihood of her having a flea infestation is minimal. Besides, we used to always have flea infested dogs in the house in Alabama and never had any issues with the fleas biting us....or not me anyway.

Summer's itching subsided rather quickly and she never complained after the initial incident. My itching on the other hand progressively got worse. I scratch like a dog and have managed to claw holes into my whelps.

Toby suggested I might have Chiggers. Chiggers I say...I have heard of them but have never had any experiences with such a creature. I decided to hop on the Internet and do a little chigger research. Yes! I have been attacked by chiggers!

Seems my love of trampling around in the greenbelt has not gotten me snake bit, but has managed to get me bug infested. In all the years I have trampled around in the woods this is the first time I have ever had creatures attach themselves to me.

I "ain't skeerd" though. I'll be back in those woods armed with some very strong insect repellent the next time!

5 comments:

  1. I find it hard to believe you've lived in Alabama all your life without the Chigger infestation before. Mom used to cover the bites with nail polish to 'smother them'. I don't know if it really worked or was just on the verge of getting better by itself. I think it should be a feature on Mythbusters. I'd be interested to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now, ain't that interesting?!? I've heard of chiggers as well, never experienced them...and from the looks/sound of them, don't care to!

    Ewwww, they're related to the spider! ick factor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got chigger bites in Alabama when surveying. Nail polish didn't work. I find that any insect repellent with deet will keep the mites away, while something like benedryl (anti hystamine)will relieve the itching. I use insect repellent here to keep land leeches off of me. They suck your blood until they are full and then drop off. If they drop into your boot they get crushed and you ruin your socks in blood stains.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy.
    I've had these before and they are yucky, yucky, yucky. I think I went into the doctor and got some stuff for them that made them go away faster, but that was 14 years ago, so lord only knows what I really did! :-)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lived in Texas all my life. Lots of time outdoors. Heard of chiggers, but never experienced them until now. Went to Barton Springs. Next day I had itchy bumps around backside- belt area. It is horrid.

    ReplyDelete