Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Salt Lick and Some Wine

I just found out yesterday that Toby would be off the rest of the week until Friday when he starts in his new shop. He claimed he told me, but I don't remember. I guess I don't listen to him any better than he listens to me. :-)

I'm not very good at spontanaity and always like to have my itenarary planned well in advance. With such a last minute notice of his days off, I had to plan something quickly. No need to waste two free days together.

I'm sure I have said this before, but I will reiterate. Texas has the best barbecue I have ever eaten....no matter what establishment we have eaten it, it has always been scrumptious. Toby had mentioned the other day that he wanted to try Salt Lick..another barbecue place with a great reputation.

Salt Lick is in Driftwood, located just a little Southwest of Austin. I researched the area and made sure there were other attractions in the area to warrant our trip.

Here we are at Salt Lick. As usual the barbcue did not disappoint us...



Mmmmmmm......look at that open pit grill. Doesn't it look delicious?




After we ate we decided to check out the "downtown" area of Driftwood. I thought Manor was small, but this place was definitely in the boonies. There didn't seem to be anything for miles around.

Their "downtown" consisted of decorating store, a church, an old Texaco, and a post office. Here are some pics of the "downtown" area....

We first stopped into the store named Bebe's. It was very nice and smelled good in there. It was more like a nicely decorated house than anything. The man in there was very nice and told us to make ourselves at home and just look around. The place seemed more like it needed to be in Austin than in a podunk town...

Here is the Texaco that had no gas pumps??????????



Summer taking a break from the heat...



Here is Bebe's...



While we were in Bebe's they had some brochures. We spotted one on a Vineyard nearby. Toby and I had never been to a Vineyard before. We decided that since we were close by one that it would be worth our while to take a visit and taste some wine. :-) We weren't so sure that we could take Summer into a winery, but we were intrigued enough that we were willing to give it a try.

On the way to the vineyard I had to stop and take a pic of one of my favorite creatures...the Longhorn. They are absolutely beautiful to me. Build A Bear has one, and I have been trying to talk Summer into adding one to her collection of BAB's.



It seems that the vineyard must have also been the area bar room. There were a couple of moms there that were enjoying an afternoon bottle of wine out on the deck. They seemed to be glad their kids were glued to someone besides them. Their kids were actually quite entertaining while we sipped our wine.





I think Toby must have had too much wine....



Luckily one of the things I have on my List of things to see and do in Austin, was in the area too. Barsan Dham..a Hindu Temple. Summer and I had just recently studied the religion of Hinduism too so I figured this would be a great reinforcement of what we had learned about the religion.

Of course the Temple was beautiful and had a really inviting looking "swimming pool" out back. I'm sure it was a lot cleaner than the Ganges River. Here are some pics of the Temple grounds...








I had to laugh at Summer. Angela, this one is for you. Summer looked at this statue and told Toby..."Jaiden would be scared of that". She knows Jaiden well......



The day turned out well despite not being planned well in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment