Monday, June 22, 2009

A Shopping Spree!

Well I guess as much of a shopping spree as Toby and I dare to take. As hard as we have tried to be more fruitful with our money, we still tend to live in the scarcity mode. After all, you never know when you might need your money for something important.

Over the past few years on our journey to "enlightenment" we have tried to adhere to the idea that the money is always there. Gratefully, the money has always been there for us when we needed it....but I wonder, is it just because we don't spend frequently??? Only buying things as we need them instead of as we want them? Maybe the money is there because of our financial responsibility, not because of some divine idea.

Why is it so hard to give to ourselves? I'm not talking about just acquiring material things that serve no purpose other than to acquire and to have, I am speaking of things that we truly want to make our lives easier or more enjoyable. Responsible spending as I would call it.

I still haven't figured out why it is so hard yet. Is it because I feel we don't "need" the particular item or is it something deeper. I know I have often not spent money on things I want because I think that if I do we will not have the money for emergencies....like a/c's going on the blink. For example, what if we were not frugal people. What if when our a/c went out and we did not have $350 to spend on a/c repairs because we had bought that nice new comfy couch instead? Is this whole life meant to be just for drudgery spending??

See what I mean? Too many "what if" questions instead of just trusting that it will be there when you need it....abundance.

The definition of scarcity....smallness of quantity in proportion to the wants or demands; deficiency; lack of plenty; short supply.

So today I insisted that we not be scarce. We have a total of 3 televisions in our home. One in our room, one in Summer's room, and one in the living area. We decided that when the digital conversion began we would buy one new flat screen T.V.

The T.V. would go into Summer's room....mainly because that's where my son stays when he comes to visit. It's also where the smallest T.V. would go and we were not extending our spending to $1000....see there is the scarcity again. We have the money for such a purchase, but it is kept stored away for future "emergencies" instead of enjoying it and trusting there will be money there for "emergencies" when the time comes. We are not living in the moment as far as our money goes.

I know most of my readers are probably thinking, "what the **** is she talking about?" A few of my readers I know will "get it".

So anyway, we purchased our first flat screen T.V. yesterday. It is sitting proudly in Summer's room waiting for someone to watch it.

We did do a bit of furniture shopping also. It seems the sofa we had our eye on has disappeared into thin air. We can't seem to remember which furniture store we were in when we spotted it...

For now we are stuck with the hand me down sofa we have had for several years now. There is really nothing wrong with our sofa other than it has pillows on it...pillows that I have to constantly arrange and put back on the couch. I hate pillows!

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you mean! I question every big purchase and agonize over the necessity of it.....does this mean I am getting, gulp, old?

    ReplyDelete